About Rolling Stone Magazine

Learn more about Rolling Stone Magazine, the pop-culture leader that helped shape a generation

Share 


Featured Profile category interest

Rolling Stone is a legendary monthly American magazine that focuses on popular culture, politics, music, arts andamp; entertainment. Founded and started with a mere $7,500 borrowed investment in San Francisco, California, in 1967 by Jann Wenner, and the music critic Ralph J. Gleason, It was first known for its coverage of rock music and for political reporting by gonzo journalist Hunter S. Thompson. Thompson first published his most famous work Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas within the pages of Rolling Stone, where he remained a contributing editor until his death in 2005.

Alongside publications like Billboard Magazine, Pollstar, Alternative Press and SPIN, Rolling Stone has long been considered one of the foundational publications of the music industry. In the 1990s, Rolling Stone Magazine broadened and shifted its focus to a younger readership interested in youth-oriented television shows, film actors, and popular music. It has since returned to its traditional mix of content, including popular music, other forms of entertainment, and politics. Speaking of Politics, Rolling Stone and Yappa World Inc just recently announced Useful Idiots Live, a virtual live event series using Rolling Stone's political podcast featuring Matt Taibbi and Katie Halper, and supercharging it with the Yappa commenting tool to encourage meaningful and respectful political discussions.Check out the full story on Rolling Stone and Yappa's live event here. 

The first Rolling Stone magazine was released in 1967 and featured John Lennon in costume for the film How I Won the War on the cover and was published every two weeks. It is known for provocative photography and its cover photos, featuring musicians, politicians, athletes, and actors. In addition to its print version in the United States, it publishes content through Rollingstone.com and numerous international editions. The magazine's long-running slogan, "All the news that fits", was provided by early contributor, manager and sometime editor Susan Lydon. She lifted it from an April Fools issue of the Columbia Daily Spectator which posted "All the news that fits we print", a parody of The New York Times' slogan, "All the News That's Fit to Print".

Related Article: SPIN Dubs Run the Jewels 2020’s “Artist of the Year”

Penske Media Corporation is the current owner of Rolling Stone, purchasing 51 percent of the magazine in 2017 and the remaining 49 percent in 2019. PMC is a leading independent global media and information services company whose award-winning content attracts a passionate monthly audience of more than 310 million. Since 2004, Penske Media has been a pioneer in digital media and a platform innovator, reaching viewers on all screens across its ever-growing constellation of iconic brands, which includes Variety, Rolling Stone, WWD, SHE Media, Robb Report, Deadline, Sportico, BGR, ARTnews, Fairchild Media, and Spy.com, among many others. PMC’s journalists and content creators deliver daily the most comprehensive news and information in their industries and areas of coverage, unequaled in ambition, depth and courage. Headquartered in New York and Los Angeles with additional offices in 14 countries worldwide, PMC believes companies should not only be profitable but also forces for good.

In response to the Covid-19 pandemic of 2020, Rolling Stone announced a series of rooftop concerts throughout three of New York's boroughs in celebration and support of the New York local music scene. Artists like Cold War Kids, Elle King, and Oddisee performed exclusive sets atop buildings in Manhattan, Brooklyn, and Queens with a livestream of each set streaming exclusively at www.rollingstone.com/rooftopsessions and hosted by Saturday Night Live's Chloe Fineman.

September 26, 2022
Share 

More from Featured Profile

What Is Crewnation?
Featured Profile

What Is Crewnation?

Get to know Crewnation, the Global Relief Fund for Live Music Crewmembers

Who is Amanda Shires
Featured Profile

Who is Amanda Shires

Get to know the rising Americana star

What is Arts & Crafts Productions?
Featured Profile

What is Arts & Crafts Productions?

Get to know the label & management company started as a Broken Social Scene vehicle

Who Is Billy Strings
Featured Profile

Who Is Billy Strings

Get to know the world-class bluegrass phenom

Who is Maren Morris
Featured Profile

Who is Maren Morris

Get to know the Americana super star in the making. 

Who is Melanie C
Featured Profile

Who is Melanie C

Get to know the former Spice Girl turned chart topping solo artist

Sign up for Aritist And Fan Newsletters

Keep in touch with everything on Aritist And Fan. Sign up for our newsletter!
 








Stats
Elapsed time: 0.1377 seconds
Memory useage: 2.76MB
V2.geronimo