Eventbrite, the global self-service ticketing and experience technology platform, today unveiled its 2020 Inside Look Report, a comprehensive global study that explores human connection and the world of experiences. With nearly 75 million virtual attendees, 100+ million hours logged online, and more than one million virtual events in 2020, Eventbrite has continued to bring the world together during a year of social distancing through virtual experiences, which have proven to be critical connection points for consumers.
Eventbrite’s Inside Look Report provides insight into how consumers and the event industry at large have adapted to 2020’s unprecedented cultural, political, and social change, focusing on how the disruption of live and in-person events transformed daily behavior and connection. The report, available here, analyzes data from the more than one million global virtual experiences on Eventbrite in 2020 and a YouGov1 survey of more than 3,000 consumers across Australia, the UK and US.
Online experiences helped combat loneliness by driving hobbies, helping people learn and virtually travel; staying informed was a top priority for consumers; conservatives and liberals both turned to online events to remain connected. More than half of survey respondents said they plan to attend both virtual and in-person events in the future
Related Article: Eventbrite Acquires Toneden
Additional key US consumer findings include:
Online events helped people combat loneliness, and in many cases thrive, via hobbies, virtual learning, and self-improvement
Stay-at-home orders made space and time for self-improvement and self-care, but many chose to work on themselves virtually, together.
• When looking at Eventbrite data specifically, half of all tickets issued to virtual experiences in 2020 were for seminars/talks or classes/trainings/workshops.
• Of those who’ve attended online events since the pandemic began, over one-third (36%) of respondents agreed that theyand#39;re thriving in the COVID-19 environment, compared to 27% of those who have not attended an online event in that time.
• Among those who have picked up new hobbies since the start of COVID-19, singles (21%) were more than twice as likely to pick up a hobby because they were lonely compared to those in relationships (10%). Men (22%) were more than twice as likely to have picked up new hobbies during the pandemic than women (9%) because they felt pressured to be productive.
• Nearly one in five men (19%) said that online events and social platforms have allowed them to forge social connections better than they would have made in real life.
The power of staying socially and culturally informed is more important than ever
People turned to virtual experiences to connect, get informed, have tough conversations, and ask challenging questions throughout the year.
• Nearly half (48%) of respondents said they have become more informed on social justice and political issues since the pandemic began, which mirrors behavior on Eventbrite.
• Three of the most attended virtual events on Eventbrite in 2020 centered on social justice, with the leading event issuing tickets to more than 277,000 attendees.
• We dug a layer deeper to look specifically at social media users through our survey and found 73% of YouTube users said they have become more informed/involved in political/social issues since the beginning of the pandemic, more than any major social networks (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, TikTok). This number is significantly higher than the 48% average response.
Conservatives and liberals might differ in opinion, but both turned to virtual experiences
During one of the highest politically charged years, people from both majority US political parties found a way to connect via online experiences.
• Since the World Health Organization declared the pandemic, conservatives (32%) are nearly twice as likely to say they’ve attended a religious or spiritual event online compared to liberals (17%).
• Liberals (14%) are twice as likely to say they have attended a physical or mental wellness class online compared to conservatives (6%).
• Interestingly, 60% of Democrats agreed that online virtual events are a good alternative for live/in-person events, while only 37% of Republicans agreed.
• Nearly half of all Democrats (48%) feel more positive about attending online virtual events now, compared to just 26% of Republicans.
• While 72% of Democrats said it will be very important for any events they attend in the next year to follow proper COVID-19 safety restrictions, only 27% of Republicans agreed.
The power of human connection transcended distance
Even though many communities across the world have been practicing some level of social distancing since March, online experiences helped people stay connected.
• When asked whether online events make people feel more connected to others, 45% of online event attendees agreed.
• Roughly a third (32%) of those who have attended online events since the pandemic began said they made new friends through such events.
• Online event attendees also largely agreed (65%) that online experiences allow them to attend events in other countries without traveling there, which maps to behavior on Eventbrite. Virtual events hosted on Eventbrite in the United States attracted more than 30% of their attendees from other locations worldwide.
“Perhaps the silver lining of this pandemic is that online events have the power to globally engage communities in new ways, helping creators bring people together from small town America to far reaching corners of the world,” said Julia Hartz, co-founder and CEO of Eventbrite. “That’s something to celebrate as we continue to work toward the safe return of in-person events.”
Looking ahead to 2021
For the foreseeable future, virtual events are highly likely to remain both necessary and popular. Across the board, half of the respondents in the survey said they plan to attend both virtual and in-person events when it is safe to gather again.
Connecticut BioTech and TicketNetwork are teaming up to distribute 10 million respirator face masks to live entertainment venues to bring back live events.
New tour dates, cities and venues announced.
Hearing on “Examining the Impact of COVID-19 on the Live Event Entertainment Industry”
As part of a new partnership the donation helps independent venues and promoters across the U.S. as they wait for Congress to act
Hit especially hard by the pandemic, with no clear end in sight, this may be a disturbing trend
Kinaxis InConcert to sponsor up to 30 concerts supporting artists in diverse music genres across Canada
Fan Favorite Categories: Quarantine Ditty, Best Cover, No Stage No Problem, Best Outdoor Performance...and more
It's the Grammy-Winner's first new solo single in three years
All proceeds to benefit Musically Fed, Nashville Rescue Mission & Second Harvest Food Bank
Report created with support from the CMA, Nashville Songwriters Association International & More
The One Night Event Will Kick Off on December 31, 2020 from 8 p.m. to Midnight at Hilton Daytona Beach New Year's Eve Beach Bash Outdoor Vertical Concert Serie
find out how one band is paying homage to the venues they love and we all miss
As the Leading Music Industry Charity, MusiCares is Giving Gift Cards to Music People in Need to Cover Essential Goods This Holiday Season
Watch her version of “I’ll Be Home For Christmas” here
#DanceAway2020 first phase lineup features DJs including Carl Cox, Jamie Jones, TOKiMONSTA, Nastia as they each bring in the New Year live from cities across the globe
Presented by Topeka & Sixthman, April 26-May 1, 2021 in Miramar Beach Fl.
It will provide grants to Chicago venues, their staff and to local artists as each struggle to survive the moratorium on live events.
Includes remix of lead single "Black Woman", produced by Supa Dups & feat. Reggae Icon Tarrus Riley
Punk rock was born and bred into Gainesville natives Mike & The Nerve, who have just released their new single "Captive Audience."
Watch the video for BELLY OF THE BEAST here
this small business owner is helping to turn dreams into a reality, during this difficult time.
Over 30 jazz greats and Broadway legends join together to usher in the holiday season
Chalk it up to another victim of government inaction in supporting the businesses that support it
Earn money from your music in these uncertain times
The growing adoption of digital music services is one of the key factors driving the market.
A New Market Study, titled “Music Market Upcoming Trends, Growth Drivers and Challenges” has been featured on WiseGuyReports.
The First Single From Andrew Lloyd Webber's New Musical 'Cinderella'
BMF tackled the challenges of COVID-19 while simultaneously meeting the needs of the public through exceptional cultural offerings.
With the Purplepass event management software, the venue can host future events with proper social distancing tools in place and safe ticket handling.
Partnership Will Allow NIVA Members Access To Pioneering Livestream Technology To Create Content And Unique Fan Experiences Geared Towards Saving Independent Venues Through NIVA’s Emergency Relief Fund
Today, the hip-hop supervillain MF DOOM launches a timely new collection of physical merch: four variations of collectible masks inspired by MF DOOM's signature look, and a brand new line of t-shirts, hoodies, and sticker packs.
New Holiday Album HARK! Out Oct 30th, Vinyl LP Out Nov 20th
"Ready to Reopen" analyzes COVID-19 insights from 87 US venue managers and their guests
Featuring Sandra St. Victor and Grandmaster Melle Mel
First Battle Rap League to Successfully Navigate Streaming on Multiple Tiers at Cost for Rap & Hip-Hop Fans & Creators
Come Together With Their First Live Show to Benefit The ACM Lifting Lives COVID Relief Fund
Week spotlights independently-owned music venues, the backbone of the live music scene
The week-long opening night celebration features multiple world premieres
A work of wild poetry and wide-eyed abandon, set to a glorious collision of folk and country and groove-heavy rock-and-roll.
Barcelona's multi-hyphenate metal quintet announce a tour that we hope will actually happen
The hourly timed entry restricts the number of vehicles entering the experience, facilitating a smoother flow of traffic.
100% of public donations will go to support the various non-profits and will be raised via text and online fundraising during broadcasts and streams.
The pair claimed seven trophies apiece at the pandemic-delayed show
Since the Symphony launched its free fall outdoor concert series, its musicians have performed for fans and made new friends from the urban core to suburbs on both sides of the state line
Join Kylie On A Journey To Her Infinite Disco, A Performance Spectacular Streamed Across The Globe On November 7
featuring DOJA CAT, Charli XCX, Henry Lau & Video Club
Stone Gossard made some serious promises this campaign season.
Yep, a live show, actually quite a few happening at City Winery Nashville
The Dark and Brooding "EP3" Now Available on All Major Platforms
Salvadoran recording artist Joseph Fermán releases his new single, "La Vida", a testimony to living life to its fullest.
The parties at the club are so legendary they have inspired lyrics from Drake, Kanye West and Rick Ross.
His newest release is filled with beautiful melodies, while also embracing fear and uncertainty.
Quirky 80s new-wave inspired tune tells the story we all know too well
Sheffield UK Festival looking forward to 2021, We're hoping it sticks
It's time to bring back more like this....
This one-of-a-kind experience is set for Friday, October 30th with the pre-show starting at 6:00 PM Eastern
Congress needs to step in to help #SaveOurStages Now.
Truly a song for the days we find ourselves in
Fans can expect even more new music from both Mize and Dunn early 2021.
A memory-soaked highlight; a strong bass line rings and accompanies Raj’s masterful wordplay as he marvels at how his life has changed.
Disco Donnie announces their new drive in experience
With the recovery of the China economy in full swing after the COVID-19 pandemic, the demand for music festivals and concerts is strong and likely to continue
to Launch a Fundraising Campaign for Struggling Brazilian Immigrants in the Arts, Events & Entertainment Industries
Featuring Randall Bramblett of Traffic and Steve Winwood and Charlie Hoskyns of The Popes
As Theatres and Performing Arts Centers Suffer thru a Nationwide COVID Dry Spell, One Innovative Entertainment Company Brings Live Streaming Concerts to the Rescue.
The concert featuring Offset includes performances from Offset's artists, Duke Deuce, YRN Mango and surprise guests
Styx front man Tommy Shaw, renowned concert promoter Danny Zelisko and the late singer-songwriter John Prine inducted Tuesday during live-streamed ceremony in Nashville
Malone’s competition for the show’s biggest prize, top artist, include Taylor Swift, Billie Eilish, Khalid and Jonas Brothers
Pinecrest Gardens Brings Jazz Masters to Music Lovers' Homes with Virtual Concert Series to Help Feed Families Affected by the Pandemic
Sharon gives the lowdown on the dark lord's final jaunt. At least the Euro dates
Covid-19 strikes yet another blow against the arts
Chalk this up to "only in New York" and the reason we all love that city.
Some long needed assistance is on the horizon.
Executives from Live Nation, AEG, OVG, IAVM and more form US Coalition to help save the music industry on the day after President Trump stopped negotiations that would have provided a lifeline.
Attendance will be restricted to 25% of a venue’s capacity or 250 people, whichever is less.
During Covid-19 the live experience platform expands artist livestream offerings to venues - including New Orleans' iconic Preservation Hall - to bring artists back to the stage
Elapsed time: 0.7894 seconds
Memory useage: 2.84MB